Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Kindle + Makers = Contradiction?

I recently got a new Kindle2 as a gift and I love it. I take it with me everywhere now. It's ideal since I frequently switch between several different texts (as my mood dictates), and I love being able to look up a word in the dictionary without leaving the page. I'm hooked - and I can never go back. I'm also a little bit conflicted.

I'd been putting off getting an ereader myself only because I was undecided as to which to buy. Although the Kindle was the undisputed leader, I was more than a little turned off by its use of restrictive DRM. Of course, now that I have one I'm having a hard time putting it down.

Fortunately Amazon allows me to upload open ebooks to my Kindle via email. So as a deliberate act of DRM defiance I've uploaded Cory Doctorow's Makers onto my Kindle. I fully intend to enjoy reading it, but I also hope it will remain a reminder for me to not get too comfortable with my precious Kindle.

No comments:

Post a Comment